“Maybe we must experience suffering before we learn to take risks for what we love.” – EE Cummings
1. I’m Bored Out of My Mind @ Work!
6 am the alarm screams at me and I hit the snooze button 3 times, yes 3, always 3. (whats your number?)
I drag myself out of bed looking and feeling like I just stepped out of the ‘The Walking Dead’, compelling myself to face another day of sheer, unadulterated, mind-numbing boredom.
Arriving at my desk, I make small talk with workmates (let’s face it; it’s never been my strong-suit). All the while feigning interest in the mind-numbing intricacies of a job I have approximately zero interest in.
The day finnnnnnnally comes to an end; I reach for my phone in a desperate attempt to connect with friends and family on the way home; only, I’m so drained and tired from work I have nothing of value to contribute. I hear myself winding up the call prematurely in the hopes of catching 5 selfish minutes of ‘me time’ before arriving home.
2. I’ve Never Fully Subscribed to the Idea of Trading Time for Money.
Who’s bright idea was that anyway? There just has to be a better way.
We each have a finite number of hours in the day, 24 to be precise! Subtract from that 8 hours sleep, 3 hours for prepping and commuting to work. We have approximately 8-10 hours of income producing hours a day and a whopping 3-5 ‘free hours’ remaining.
I ask myself the question; How much would I need to earn an hour to buy myself just a few more of those ‘free hours’ a day?… Of course, the answer came in at some ridiculously unachievable figure. You can see where I’m going with this right? Trading hours for dollars = a flawed system.
3. The Alternatives?
- Go to Uni? And get further into debt in the hopes I land a good, secure job in 4-7 years time when I eventually graduate? The reality is, I’d still be trading hours for dollars.
- Invest in Property? I’ll be honest with you, I have an investment property, it’s a long term investment, not an income I can rely on. It ties up cash-flow and limits the amount of freedom I have to do the things I would really like to be doing.
- Trading Stocks & Shares? The thought alone makes me shudder, I have literally no interest in the share market whatsoever, guaranteeing it would be a short lived and very costly exercise, falling just shy of gambling.
- Start My Own Business? A Bricks & Mortar business is expensive and involves an enormous investment of both time and money. The overheads involved in setting up this type of business are out of my reach, not to mention it requires giving up my day job to get off the ground, making it virtually impossible and ridiculously risky for someone in my current position of financial mediocracy..
What about Blogging?…
We see it every day right? As we scroll through our social media feeds, we see examples of other people living life on their own terms. Travel bloggers, yoga bloggers, fashion bloggers, business bloggers, cat bloggers, car bloggers… the list goes on and on and on…
What Is It, That Makes One Person A Successful Blogger, and Another Person Not?
- I know what I’m passionate about too!! I love yoga and nutrition and fitness and personal development and helping others solve problems and frankly, I enjoy too many things to list here.
- But what I didn’t know was how to write about it.
- I didn’t feel confident using social media and blogging platforms.
- I didn’t know how to make money doing it.
- I questioned my own self-worth and wondered what value I could possibly bring to others.
- I was absolutely terrified of having to learn all the skills necessary to market myself; my interests and my ideas.
But mostly; even if I overcame all of that… How, was I going to make it work? and who was I going to turn to every time I hit a brick-wall?
But Here’s What I Know:
I’m no longer satisfied working for someone else in a job that is not fulfilling me. I no longer wish to continue trading my precious hours for dollars. And I will not compromise my right to live the life I truly want to live.
There are real people out there right now:
BEING who they are,
DOING what they love &
SHARING what they know!
Why Not Join Me?
If you’d like to gain access to my own personal mentors, learn how to find your own digital voice, and be a part of my extended global community of digital entrepreneurs, click here to receive our Free 7 Part Video Series and prepare yourself to be inspired!